The 5 Best AI Content Marketing Tools (Ratings & Reviews)
You have probably seen countless LinkedIn posts and articles over the past few weeks listing dozens of AI content marketing tools. And while those are great for inspiring you to start looking into how Artificial Intelligence (AI) can make your content marketing more efficient and streamlined, they are often a random collection of tools, including enterprise content management systems next to humble but powerful Grammarly.
Goal: Build A Lean But Mean AI Content Marketing Tool Stack
Over the past two months, I have trialed dozens of AI-powered content marketing tools using my 10+ years of experience as a content marketer to find the best solutions for my clients. While I will list enterprise tools at a later time, the tools I selected are best suited for small content teams (2-10 people).
My goal is to equip you with the information you need to build a lean but mean stack that will make your content marketing processes easier and faster. While there are seemingly countless AI tools for every possible scenario out there, the stack I hope you will build will focus on applying AI in the following ways:
- Increase content creation speed by sparking ideas, generating content outlines, and creating summaries
- Improve the productivity of writers by creating templates
- Co-write and help edit marketing copy, blog posts, website content, ebooks, whitepapers, case studies, and other collateral
- Eliminate tedious but time-consuming low-impact tasks, such as writing meta descriptions or content briefs
- Align and enforce a brand voice, style guide, and consistent language across all content
- Test different headlines, content formats, lengths, etc. to find the best performing
Allow you to repurpose content into different formats and styles (e.g., transcribe and summarize a webinar into a blog post)
In the coming weeks, I will focus on additional tools that allow you to:
- Use data to recommend what content works best and what doesn’t, and to predict which content types and formats will perform best
- Identify the high-impact content topics regarding audience and revenue
Generative AI can be a great help in making almost all content marketing tasks more efficient. With the right AI content management tools, you can achieve faster time to market, better quality content, and more brand and style guide alignment.
Evaluation Criteria for AI Content Creation Tools
To make the search easier, we have evaluated dozens of AI content creation and cowriting tools and selected the best five. We provided a short description, the best use cases, pros and cons, ratings, and reviews for each one.
To evaluate, I have used the following list of criteria:
- Quality of content output for different scenarios
- Co- and re-write capabilities (simple or specific options)
- Quantity and quality of use cases and templates included
- Data privacy, security, and compliance
- Integrations, add-ins, and extensions
- Internationality and supported languages
- User friendliness/ease of use
The five best content creation and cowriting AI tools are Writer.com, Copy.ai, Jasper.ai, Grammarly, and WriteSonic.
Writer is the #1 AI writing platform for professional writers and writing teams. It’s more than just content generation — Writer is a whole system to manage quality content creation, across every team, at scale.
Price: $18 per user/month for Teams plan, Enterprise plan also available
Most used in the following industries: Computer Software, Computer & Network Security, and Writing and Editing
Writer is a generative AI content management platform that helps writers generate and manage their content from start to finish at scale. It streamlines and accelerates the content creation process by helping to brainstorm content ideas, generate first drafts within seconds, and help writers to create content faster with its co-writing and re-writing features.
It also enforces editorial, style, and brand guidelines across all content automatically. I haven't found any other non-enterprise tool that does this. Also, it allows content managers to produce assets for content distribution, such as promo emails and social media posts, and repurpose existing content into different formats. But maybe one of my favorite features is the built-in enterprise security. For example, while ChatGPT (and tools based on it) will feed what you write back into their machine learning models, anything you write in Writer is analyzed transiently. For more information, check out their very detailed security page.
- CoWrite: Use CoWrite to automatically generate headlines, emails, product descriptions, press releases, blog posts, and more. You can even train CoWrite using your best-performing content and design your own templates (enterprise only).
- Recaps: Recaps is a new feature that allows marketers to repurpose presentations, webinars, podcasts, and other recordings much faster by extracting transcriptions, summaries, key takeaways, and important quotes.
- Ask Writer Anything: Chat-like interface to get Writer to answer a question or fulfill a request
- Styleguide: Create a beautiful, AI-powered style guide to enforce brand and editorial guidelines and encourage unbiased, inclusive language automatically and in real-time using examples and templates.
- Terms: Create a central repository of terms that are commonly used, e.g., in your industry or for your brand, and enforce the correct usage.
- Snippets: Allows your team to instantly reuse approved copy (e.g., messaging, customer support messages), whether that is a single sentence or long-form copy
- Rather than competing in the race for the most templates, Writer focused on getting the essential templates optimized (quality over quantity).
- It outshines the other AI writing solutions with its added capabilities such as style guide, terms, and snippets.
- Security and compliance features (This will increasingly become more important!)
- It is very user-friendly, easy to navigate, and well-organized.
- Offers Chrome Extension as well as add-ins for Google Docs, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook, Figma, and Contentful
- Automated content generation is limited to 15k words per user per month.
- No tone detection
Copy.ai is a generative AI tool that allows writers to "create personalized sales copy, write long-form posts and pages at scale, repurpose content across any channel, and generate product descriptions."
Price: $49/month ($36/month if paid annually upfront) for 5 seats, offers free option with extensive features
Most used in the following industries: Marketing & Advertising, Computer Software, and Writing & Editing
Copy.ai is an AI content creation and cowriting tool specializing in creating written content faster and more efficiently, especially for social media managers, email marketers, and blog writers. It has an extensive range of features, including 90+ copywriting tools and its ability to automatically generate written content in 29 languages, including English, French, and Spanish. Copy.ai’s UI is relatively basic but efficient, making it easy to use for people of all skill levels.
- Unlimited projects and no word count limitations (which is a huge benefit compared to the other four)
- Can write in multiple languages, making it more accessible to wider audiences
- Easy integration with other tools used for content creation
- Supports collaboration between multiple users
- Limited flexibility as most automation processes are rigidly structured
- Basic UI may be seen as unappealing by some users
- Users complained about frequent grammar and spelling errors, inconsistent quality, and issues with tone
- Not always SEO focused
Jasper is a generative AI content writing tool best suited for marketers as it focuses on creating content for blog posts, product descriptions, social media posts, video scripts, etc.
Price: $99/month for individuals and small teams (Boss Mode), Starter and Enterprise plan available
Most used in the following industries: Marketing & Advertising, Writing & Editing, and Health, Wellness, & Fitness
Jasper.ai is an AI-powered content management tool that helps marketers and digital agencies automate processes, reduce errors, and improve content quality. It uses natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning (ML) to generate reports and insights from customer feedback, analyze customer preferences for segmentation purposes, and even create personalized content.
The platform offers a wide range of features designed to make life easier for marketers: it can recommend the best content topics based on data analysis; it can suggest relevant keywords; it helps keep track of the progress of your campaigns; and more. This makes Jasper.ai one of the top AI content management tools available today.
As with any tool, there are pros and cons to using Jasper.ai:
- Automates tedious tasks like generating summaries, writing meta descriptions, and emails
- Has a variety of templates that help write and improve different types of content
- Supports 29 languages
- ChatGTP-like functionality for free-form requests
- Easy to integrate into existing workflows
- Integrates with Surfer SEO, Grammarly, and other Chrome extensions
- New: brand voice
- I found the content sometimes repetitive and lower quality
- Can cite sources, but those often have a broken link or are very outdated
- I used Jasper for 6+ months and found it annoying how the UI constantly changed (constant learning curve)
- Boss Mode can be expensive for some businesses
- Limited support options if you run into issues with the platform
- Some users complained about their experiences with Jasper's billing practices
Grammarly started as a grammar checker and proofreading tool to improve the correctness, clarity, and engagement of written content. It only recently added Grammarly Go, its AI text generation module.
Price: $12 per user/month for the Premium plan, $15 per user/month for the Business plan
Most used in the following industries: Higher Education, Marketing & Advertising, and Information Technology & Services
Grammarly is a powerful AI-powered communication assistant designed to help more than 30 million people and 50,000 teams worldwide communicate boldly, clearly, and mistake-free. It can be used for both personal and professional writing, providing users with a comprehensive set of features that makes it one of the best grammar, punctuation, and spelling checkers available today.
What makes Grammarly unique is its ability to detect errors that other spellcheckers may miss. It also offers an advanced algorithm that can recognize context, making sure that the right words are always used in the right places. Additionally, it provides grammar suggestions based on the type of writing being done — such as a blog post or an academic paper — ensuring accuracy even when dealing with more complex language structures.
As of April 2023, Grammarly offers Grammarly Go, "Grammarly’s on-demand, contextually aware assistant powered by generative AI." This brand-new AI text generation feature allows you to generate 500 prompts per month. You can choose from around 50 prewritten prompt suggestions or write your own. The prompts and the results are great. But why contain them in such a tiny box???
One of the best use cases for Grammarly is in content marketing. By using this tool to check for typos and mistakes before publishing content online, brands can ensure their message reaches their target audience without any missteps or confusion. This can result in faster time to market and better quality content with more brand alignment and style guide compliance.
- Comprehensive spelling and grammar-checking capabilities
- Contextual recognition to ensure accurate usage of words
- Grammar suggestions tailored to different types of writing
- Streamlined editing process for faster time to market
- Sometimes Grammarly can be a little overzealous or edit in circles
- Limited customization options compared to other tools
- Subscription required after free trial period ends
WriteSonic is an AI writing and image generation platform aiming to "empower everyone in the world to create any form of content 10X faster." The company positions itself as "Canva for writing" with tools that simplify SEO-optimized article creation, editing, and publishing, and more.
Price: $19/month (includes different word count depending on the quality tier you choose)
Most used in the following industries: Marketing & Advertising, Information Technology & Services, and Writing & Editing
WriteSonic is an AI-powered tool that revolutionizes the way content marketing is done. It is an innovative solution that offers a wide range of features that help marketers produce high-quality content quickly and efficiently. One of the unique features of WriteSonic is its AI technology that allows users to generate content ideas and create compelling copy in a matter of minutes. This tool is designed to help businesses and digital marketers to streamline their content creation process and produce engaging content that attracts and keeps their audience engaged.
WriteSonic offers a wide range of use cases that makes it an essential tool for digital marketers. One of the best use cases of WriteSonic is its ability to generate high-quality content for various purposes, including web copy, blog posts, social media content, and email marketing. It also has a feature that allows users to optimize their content for SEO, making it more visible to their target audience. WriteSonic is also beneficial for businesses that need to create content in multiple languages, as it supports over 30 languages.
- 65+ templates, including templates for articles and blogs, e-commerce product descriptions, ads and marketing, website copy, and general-purpose writing
- Includes landing page template, which spits out three versions of conversion-optimized copy (landing page can also be downloaded in HTML); however, the template is very limiting and creates repetitive copy
- Easy to use and easy to navigate, making it accessible to people with different levels of technical expertise
- Based on ChatGPT 3.5 for the Premium plan and ChatGPT 4 for higher plans (It will be interesting to see how this plays out given the uncertainties around ChatGTP and copyright infringements, data security, etc.)
- Limited word output (60,000 words for Premium, 30,000 for Superior, and 15,000 for Ultimate)
- There is some confusion around the pricing models, i.e., quality of words, higher quality = fewer words
- May not be suitable for businesses that require highly specialized and technical content
- Users complain that the tool sometimes gives low quality, repetitive results and is not creative enough
Think Beyond Marketing
AI content creation tools can be used far beyond marketing alone. Include the following scenarios when you think of how and where you will use AI to help you create content:
- Advertising and Paid Ads (e.g., Facebook, LinkedIn, Google ads)
- Communications and PR (e.g., writing press releases)
- Customer Service and Experience (answer an FAQ or create a help center article based on an outline)
- E-commerce (e.g., writing product descriptions and marketing emails)
- Email Marketing (generating different email headlines, writing personalized cold-outreach emails)
- Product Management/Marketing (e.g., writing release notes, tooltips, and error messages)
- Sales (esp. SDR and prospecting functions)
- SEO (e.g., find ranking opportunities, audit website pages)
- Social Media Marketing (e.g., writing tweets and LinkedIn posts, creating social media calendar outline)
- Human Resources (writing a job description or recruitment email)
As you evaluate AI tools to help you streamline your content creation and improve the quality of your content, strive to create an AI tool stack that integrates well with your current and other AI tools, can be used for a variety of use cases, and minimizes the amount of overlapping functionality.
Digital Sales & Marketing Coach
From Our Blog
Stay up to date with what is new in our industry, and learn more about the upcoming products and events.